SW generator control question [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Wed Feb 21 09:07:49 PST 2001

Hi everybody,
    I don't believe this has been discussed previously but if it's a
repeat, sorry! Here goes...
I have a customer who has  2- SW5548 inverters w/ stacking interface,
1000AH battery bank, 1KW solar array, 14KW diesel genset w/  remote
auto-start Murphy and has grid power available and connected to the SWs.
He's using Float Mode but with the Grid Timer set for charging from 18:00
to 01:30 each day.
    My question....he wants the generator to do the AC charging, not the
grid. But he'd like to leave the grid connected. Knowing that he can't swap
the AC1 and AC2 inputs (the AC1 input won't auto-start the genset), the
only solutions I can see are....
    1- shut off the grid input breaker to AC1 so the SW defaults to the
genset for AC power...or
    2- put some sort of timed disconnect switch on the AC grid source so
AC1 is not energized during the Grid Timer period....or
    3- live with it the way it is!
I'd sure appreciate any and all feedback from you guys! This is the only
system I have out there where the owner wants to use the generator as the
primary AC source....live and learn I guess.
Thanks in advance...
Roy Butler
Four Winds RE

To send a message: