trace warranty repair wish [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander, VT Solar vtsolar1 at together.net
Sun Jan 28 09:19:01 PST 2001

Hello folks,

My wish would be for Trace and other OEMs would pay us for warranty
repairs / replacements in the field.

It has bugged me for years that we have to swallow our labor charges to
fix problems which originate at the factory and are under warranty.

My policy is to give the customer a 1 year bumper-to-bumper warranty on
my installation, i.e. I offer free labor and repairs in that time. I
consider it unreasonable to charge the customer for any problems early
in the life of the system. Many of my customers are several hours away
(one way) from my shop. It can easily eat up a whole day trying to
resolve a warranty problem. And than if the equipment has to go back for
repair, I have to 1) install a spare unit, 2) return the defective
equipment and 3) return and reinstall the repaired unit, all at my cost.
Granted, Trace has loosened up a little by allowing us on a case-by-case
to perform board replacements in the field, but that obvoiusly doesn't
put the money back in our pockets.

Its easy to determine, by factory inspection, if failure is is due to
installation or factory defect. If determined to be a factory defect,
factory reimbursement should follow. I don't see why manufactures can't
be more accommodating in this regard( yea, I know, its a money thing).
We're out there promoting and selling their product and they can't even
consider this idea.

To those of you attending the Trace feedback meeting, please bring this
up. I'd love to hear their response. And thanks for letting me vent a
little.

Kirk

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com