Another bad solarex story [RE-wrenches]

carl reuter creuter at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 19 20:28:30 PST 2001

 I personally have had to return 12 solarex 60s about four years ago
after they began going intermittent. The problem was that as the
array indicated low current and Id test the modules individually for
short circuit current ,the act of shorting the module would seem to
strengthen the internal connection and it would go back into hiding.
I sent the first suspect module to solarex and the problem hid from
them and was a waste of time. Months later it was obvious that most
of the array was doing it and I basically told Solarex that they
needed to take them  and give us new ones. I must have sounded
persuasive because they sent the new ones but what a hassle to box
and ship the old(1992) modules off. These I had culled out of a total
of two arrays(24) and the other twelve worked for a few more years
and then began the same problem .At this point I was adamant that all
were or would become defective and Solarex requested that I send in
the tag off the back of the modules(they suggested chiseling the tag
off) and then were nice enough to send the new ones. My understanding
was that they had some bad solder joints during part of 91-92 but it
seems the problem went beyond that.I think if you're persuasive
enough they will exchange modules without too much grief. Carl Reuter

=====
Land and Sea Solar, email: creuter at rocketmail.com Phone:1-310-283-9768(cell)

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

To send a message: