SW2512 "work around" [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Mon Jan 1 17:06:14 PST 2001

While I would love the idea of an "efficient Trace" battery system, I
shudder at the idea of hot rod components. I'm spending a lot of time on
net metering hearings with the utilities, trying to make our (already ok)
net metering law a lot better, and trying to get rid of the disco switch.

One of the contentions of the utilities is that even though the SW might be
UL listed when installed, the home owner can modify it and make it so that
the lineman will get killed because the Trace did not disconnect (and
because the lineman didn't follow proper procedure too). After presenting a
demonstration where I held the in/out wires of an operational Trace in my
hand, and didn't die, I was asked if I would go back to a customers home
after a year, and do the same. I answered that it depended upon whether the
owner had made modifications, and was no different than getting in a car
and driving after it had been in someone else's posession (do the brakes
still work?)

If the utilities knew there where non-UL listed pieces being added that
could affect the protection circuitry (and if they affect the way the Trace
runs, I would say they could affect the protection circuitry) then they
would have an irrefutable argument against removing the disco switches,
insurance requirements, and other froward progress.

So if someone is going to make a Trace add-on, PLEASE don't refer to it as
a Hot Rod, please get it UL Listed (I know, this kills it....), and please
don't through out the baby (net metering) with the bathwater (efficient
battery systems).

End of rant.

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Vermont Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 51
Strafford, VT 05072
802/765-4632