Battery "gunk" [RE-wrenches]

Mark Downing solarman4 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 04:55:01 PST 2000

This is a wierd one -

I have a customer with a set of Trojan L-16, 2 strings
of 4, running a SW4024.  They are maybe 3 years old
and have been charged with a 24 alternator until the
last year when he added on an LP generator.

He believes they have lost capacity lately, but the
wierd thing is the gray gunk that is growing on the
plates.  (I have digital pictures of it that I could
mail to anyone interested.)  What I can see through
the fill holes often spans several plates.  Kind of
reminds me of fungus.  Could it be sulfation?  These
batteries have been worked hard and have never had a
rest.

Would EDTA dissolve the gunk?

Mark, Hurshtown Alt. Power

http://shopping.yahoo.com/