KWH Meters [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson, SunWise sunwise at win.bright.net
Mon Sep 18 08:25:18 PDT 2000

Does anyone know the accuracy of the standard KWH meter of the type plugged
into meter bases all across the country?  I decided to put one on my frig
and purchased one the A.E.E. that was suposedly 240vac or 120vac.  I could
tell right away that it was not reading properly (perhaps half actualy
KW's).  I called the re-manufacturer (Hialeah Co of Haleah, Fl.) and they
said that the modified square wave should not be an issue for the meter, but
that I needed a two wire 120 meter rather than the three wire 240 meter AEE
was selling (even though I had it wired up correctly for 120 operation).  I
purchased 8 of their 120v, 2 wire meters and they seem to be operating fine
(accuracy?).

Bigger questions... what about the accuracy of all those grid-tied systems
out there that are feeding back into a three wire 240v meter and doing so
"unbalanced?" at 120vac only?
Also on perhaps an interesting note, I have been putting a lot of these
120v/2wire meters on systems in a variety of applications and noted that
while my old U series Trace sleeps fine with the meter, SW series inverters
have to have their search bumped up to 32 watts, as the inverters stay up at
a 16 watt search setting with one of these meters on line (meters is listed
as being 2 watts).

Any experience with these meters out there???

Final word.... In single meter grid-tied systems, just because the
(disk/Stator/I'm verbally challanged) rotates backwards does not necessarily
mean that the accumulative dials will also rotate backwards.  Some utilities
actually do use meters that have to be unratcheted.

Kurt Nelson

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: