$10,000 for 30 kWh per day! [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell ozsolar at ipa.net
Wed Mar 22 18:32:02 PST 2000

Hello Wrenches,

Did anyone catch the latest Real Goods (spring 2000) where John Schaeffer in
response to a blistering letter from a another reader says that he is
installing a system in his house that will produce 30 kWh per day and cost
$10,000.   This includes $2,000 worth of batteries.

John Schaeffer says "I am in the process of building a house that will have
a 5kW PV array and with federal and state incentives this system will cost
me $10,000 to purchase and install for everything."

I wouldn't have taken offense to this but he almost cost me a job.  I though
I was going to loose a real nice job when a customer asked me " why their
system was costing over $20,000 to produce 8 kWh per day when Mr. Schaeffer
could make 30 kWh a day for $10,000".   I told her that there was no way
that even with tax incentives could that be done.  She agreed and sent me a
check for the deposit and that was that.

Maybe, just maybe a grid tied battery less system could be that cheap with
tax incentives but I doubt it.   Any comments?  I hate to be the first one
to slam an RE company by name so maybe I deserve some harsh comments.

If anyone is interested and doesn't have a Real Goods I will have my
secretary type the whole letter up and email to the RE-Wrenches List.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar

To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/