Todd chargers in 24 VDC systems [RE-wrenches]

Richard Perez, Home Power magazine richard.perez at homepower.com
Fri Feb 11 12:34:14 PST 2000

<x-flowed>Hello Wrenches

Anyone got any suggestions regarding hooking up two 12 Volt, 70 Amp
Todd chargers to a 24 Volt battery (20 @ L-16s).

We (Joe and I) wired the outputs of the Todds in series and then to
the battery connection in the power center. Heavy wire and short
runs. We set each Todd for half of the voltage we wanted to regulate
the battery at. We switched on the Todds (powered by Honda ES6500
generator) and current output was way lower than we expected.

By juggling the voltage limit controls on the Todds we were
eventually able to get current output of the Todds up to around 30
Amps at 29 VDC. The stronger Todd we set up around 15 VDC and the
weaker about 14 VDC.

Bottom line is we are getting about 60% of the wattage our of the
series connected Todds as we got when they were wired in parallel
into a 12 Volt battery.

Has anyone else run into this? Any fixes?

Richard

To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/

Hosted by Home Power magazine: <http://www.homepower.com>