PV Rack on Slate Roof? [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael.welch at homepower.com
Fri Dec 3 11:02:42 PST 1999

At 10:07 PM 12/2/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>If the slate cannot be used as a practical mounting surface, it is often
>possible to secure a top-of-pole mount to the edge of the roofing framework,
>and support the pole clear down to the ground at the bottom.  I have seen
>some fairly large mounts like this beside the end of a building's roof,
>bracketed to the roof as it passes the edge, and extending 4 to 6 feet above
>the roof.

I ran just such a mount installation by the folks at Two Seas last spring. They said, "Don't do it" as the wind loads could easily tear away the facia boards. If you use this method, the pole mount should be free standing, that is, able to survive without being attached to the house. That means some serious engineering which may include guy wires just like a wind tower.

If you use the facia, it will also have to be structural and engineered for the wind loads.

That said, I had heard of a company that designed slate roof attachments. Quite awhile ago they submitted an article to Home Power, but neither Richard or I can recall the particulars.

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."

			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
      Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
      (Not HP mag's #s) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/

Hosted by Home Power magazine: <http://www.homepower.com>

for info contact: <michael.welch at homepower.com>