PV Rack on Slate Roof? [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson sunwise at win.bright.net
Fri Dec 3 08:01:19 PST 1999

Hey Jason,

Do you really need to go roof mounted?  Roof mounts can be problematic in
general and by code require the addition of a GFI device.  If you need the
hight, a top of pole mount or tracker can gain additional support by
attaching to the eve at the peak of the roof and is cemented in the ground
at the base alongside the house.  Also, south wall mounted PV's work well,
and although there can be some sun lost during the summer months, most
systems need all the gain they can get during the winter months, and the
wall mounted panels preform fine at that time.  My home has seasonally
adjusted wall mounted pv's and I'm pretty happy with the set-up.  The house
is two story and the PV's are above the first story windows and provide
shading to those windows from the high summer sun.  During the winter, when
the panels are lowered, the sun enters the passive solar windows making the
arrangement nearly perfect.  If you don't need the hight (good solar
window), a pole mount within reasonable distance from the house is a good
choice and limits your liabilailty cause you aren't drilling so many holes
in the house and roof.  Good luck -- Kurt Nelson, SOLutions

<http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/

>Hosted by Home Power magazine: <http://www.homepower.com>
>
>for info contact: <michael.welch at homepower.com>