I-Mac trouble [RE-wrenches]

Sharkey sharkey at mrsharkey.com
Wed Nov 3 13:27:52 PST 1999

	Jack and List;

	My first reaction was to pitch the damned Mack in the trash and get a PC,
but that's not what you want to hear.
	I don't know what Richard means when he says that the Mack power supply
won't "sync up" The very first component in any AC driven switching power
supply is a full-wave rectifier. After that it's all DC until it goes into
the MOSFET's to be chopped into high frequency square waves to be fed to
the transformer for step-down.
	My hit on this is that the Mack isn't presenting a very attractive load to
the mod wave inverter, so it's not broadening out the waveform, resulting
in low RMS value and consequently a low DC voltage inside the switching
supply. Try running another load (like a 25 or 50 watt incandescent lamp)
while you try to boot it.
	Sine wave is the way to go, but my PC runs just fine on a Trace 812, so
you should be able to run one of those little bitty think boxes from
modified sine too.

	-S

To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/