Who else [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael.welch at homepower.com
Mon Nov 22 11:21:04 PST 1999

Hello, gang. I have been getting subscription requests from folks that some of us would not consider "pro" wrenches. Yet I feel that they, you, and the industry as a whole may benefit from having these folks on the list.

Can we work together to define more precisely who should be on this list. I would like to allow as many folks as possible to be on the list, but I do not want to compromise its value for the rest of you. If we let the definition range to wide, then it loses value for the hard core pros. If it is too narrow, then use can become stagnant and we might end up excluding some valuable folks.

Two people came to mind while I was thinking about this. The first was someone who is mostly into HVAC but has on rare occasion built PV into his systems for uninterruptibility. The second is my partner Kelly, who has wrenched several systems, does not wrench for a living, yet does tech support for a big RE dealer.

Home Power #74 will be out soon, and it mentions the Wrench mail list, so I expect to get a lot of requests to be added to the list soon. It would be great if I had a little more direction from you all to make sure the list is valuable, not too exclusive, and to make my job easier.

We already have several folks from HP on the list that are not pros, myself included.

How about this only as a starting point for the purpose of discussion:

To be allowed to post to RE-Wrenches (keep in mind that ANYONE can read the posts archived at our list server www.topica.com), candidates must be included in one or more of the following categories:

1. Be a professional RE wrench focusing on the installing of home scale RE electric systems.

2. Be a professional RE installer whose focus is not RE electricity, but in the course of work must occasionally wrench on RE electric systems. (Can we get more specific about this one?)

3. Be an individual that has wrenched on a minimum of five RE electric systems. (This for non-pros that are WAY into it.)

4. Be a home scale RE electrical tech support person working for a dealer of RE products. (This for non-wrench pros that could benefit from our expertise, and who commonly help the public with problems in their systems.)

5. ????? (Anyone else we should consider?)

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."

			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
      Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
      (Not HP mag's #s) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/

Hosted by Home Power magazine: <http://www.homepower.com>

for info contact: <michael.welch at homepower.com>