\ufeff<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns:o = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" id=role_body 
bottomMargin=7 leftMargin=7 rightMargin=7 topMargin=7 bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV>Pat,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>At what point (kW or cost) does a weather station with online monitoring 
make sense?&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I like to put a weather station on all commercial&nbsp;PV systems and 
upscale residential systems unless the client does not want it&nbsp;or will not 
pay for it.&nbsp;I like to measure irradiance, wind speed and direction, ambient 
and cell temperature (and rainfall if the customer will pay for it). Then 
I&nbsp;have the system call me automatically&nbsp;when&nbsp;performance is 
not&nbsp;as expected. I also like to put CTs on the grid to make sure utility 
input is correct.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What (or who ) defines "normal weather?"</DIV>
<DIV>You don't have to be concerned with weather if your DAS measures actual 
performance against&nbsp;calculated expected performance.&nbsp;We have early 
morning fog in southern California, so I set the automatic trouble call for 
between&nbsp;10am&nbsp;and 4pm.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Defining expectations for the large (&gt; 1M)&nbsp;installations must 
be&nbsp;particularly vexing - what constitutes normal or expected downtime due 
to mechanical failure becomes key to structuring PPA's.</DIV>
<DIV>I write into the service contract that we will respond to customer or 
automatic trouble calls 48 or 72 hours during weekdays (not weekends) and during 
regular business hours (8to5). I have had only one client who wanted me to wear 
a pager. I told him that (1) PV systems are reliable, (2) if his system was 
not&nbsp;powering emergency or&nbsp;life support loads, and (3) he would have to 
pay my hourly rate 24/7 if he wanted me on call 24/7.&nbsp;He 
quickly&nbsp;changed his mind about how important&nbsp;his PV system was.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Joel Davidson</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE 
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV 
  style="FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
  <A title=SOLARPRO@aol.com href="mailto:SOLARPRO@aol.com">SOLARPRO@aol.com</A> 
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A 
  title=re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org 
  href="mailto:re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org">re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org</A> 
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 26, 2010 7:57 
AM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [RE-wrenches] 
  Volcanos,reduced solar production and kWh performance warr...</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT id=role_document color=#000000 size=2 face=Arial>
  <DIV>Marco:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>At what point (kW or cost) does a weather station with online monitoring 
  make sense?&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV>What (or who ) defines "normal weather?"</DIV>
  <DIV>Defining expectations for the large (&gt; 1M)&nbsp;installations must 
  be&nbsp;particularly vexing - what constitutes normal or expected downtime due 
  to mechanical failure becomes key to structuring PPA's.</DIV>
  <DIV>If&nbsp;making a warranty on kWh production must be part of a contract, a 
  number of concerns must be tackled in the way it is written, especially with 
  regard to the value of&nbsp;compensation.&nbsp; Maybe funds could be awarded 
  for <EM>over</EM> production or applied as a credit against lower than 
  expected kWh.&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Pat Redgate</DIV>
  <DIV>Ameco</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>
  <DIV>In a message dated 4/26/2010 4:38:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, 
  solar1online@charter.net writes:</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-LEFT: 10px"><FONT 
    style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=#000000 size=2 face=Arial>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi Marco,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I hope this query does not divert response to 
    your original question.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>How is the situation of the reduced performance 
    due to the&nbsp;volcano (or other "acts of God" or the like)&nbsp;approached 
    in the Power Purchase contract? Perhaps this could be titled "Reduced Solar 
    Production As a Result of Reduced Solar Input". </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>TIA,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Bill Loesch<BR>Solar 1 - Saint Louis 
    Solar<BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>PS As I remember, the last time I bought a new 
    vehicle, back in the Dark Ages, the auto manufacturer's warranty deferred to 
    the tire maker's warranty (for tires), etc. Any similarity?</DIV></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE 
    style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
      <DIV 
      style="FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
      <A title=mailto:marco@pvthawaii.com 
      href="mailto:marco@pvthawaii.com">Marco Mangelsdorf</A> </DIV>
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A 
      title=mailto:re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org 
      href="mailto:re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org">'RE-wrenches'</A> </DIV>
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:02 
      PM</DIV>
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [RE-wrenches] 
      Volcanos,reduced solar production and kWh performance warranties</DIV>
      <DIV><BR></DIV>
      <DIV class=Section1>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f497d">This thread brings up a 
      very timely issue that I\u2019m dealing with right now with PV Power Purchase 
      Providers.&nbsp; As an integrator providing turnkey PV systems of X kW, 
      I\u2019m being asked to contractually agree to a minimum performance warranty 
      for said PV systems.&nbsp; I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable to any such clause 
      in any contract that I would sign.&nbsp; I have strong confidence in my PV 
      design capabilities &nbsp;and engineering support and in my professional 
      crew to install a top-quality PV system.&nbsp; I have a lot less 
      confidence in an inverter manufacturer being able to get to a site on a 
      Hawaiian island in the middle of the Pacific in a super timely fashion as 
      the lost PV kWhs rack up.&nbsp; And as I mentioned in a previous post 
      today, we have an active volcano here that\u2019s been spewing since 1983, a 
      volcano that could get a lot worse on any given day.&nbsp; I\u2019m leaning 
      strongly against agreeing to any such clause.&nbsp; Way too bad a 
      precedent to set.&nbsp; Way too much of a liability.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="COLOR: #1f497d"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f497d">Anyone else had to deal 
      with this bugger of a performance warranty demand?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="COLOR: #1f497d"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="COLOR: #1f497d">Thanks,<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
style="COLOR: #1f497d">marco<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 11pt">ProVision 
      Solar<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 11pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Marco:</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Our 
      production <EM><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">schedule</SPAN></EM> has been in 
      tatters - lowered by perhaps 30% because of the rain.... can't plan, can't 
      do.&nbsp; Then I pay overtime on good days to (try to) catch 
      up.</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">We 
      have a number of systems online and I had not thought to actually review 
      and compare from this year to last.&nbsp; I'll let ya know.</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">We'll 
      get a call like - "My bill is higher than last year (edison has a&nbsp;bar 
      graph of monthly consumption for the past 13 months) and I'd like you to 
      look at my system" or My meter is not going backwards, should I call 
      edison?"&nbsp; The weather is so consistently wet&nbsp;this 
      winter&nbsp;(think Hilo) that we usually just need to ask-</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">"Been 
      outside lately?"</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">But 
      everywhere is so green and the desert bloom is 
      outrageous.........</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><A 
      title=http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html 
      href="http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html">http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html</A></SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Pat 
      Redgate&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Ameco 
      Solar&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <DIV>
      <DIV>
      <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">In 
      a message dated 4/25/2010 12:24:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, 
      marco@pvthawaii.com writes:</SPAN><SPAN 
      style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
      <BLOCKQUOTE 
      style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: blue 1.5pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; MARGIN-TOP: 5pt; PADDING-LEFT: 4pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in">
        <DIV>
        <DIV>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Pat,<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Kicked 
        your butts as far as lower output?&nbsp; If so, by how much on a 
        percentage basis?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">On 
        the Big Island of Hawaii, we\u2019ve had a very active volcano doing its 
        thing since 1983.&nbsp; With the normal trade winds, the vog (volcanic 
        smoke + fog) gets blown south past the volcano, around the south tip of 
        the island and <B><I>then back up</I></B> along the west side of the 
        island.&nbsp; Which means that Kona-side residents can be in a yucky vog 
        zone for days and sometimes longer.&nbsp; Think L.A. on a smoggy summer 
        day.&nbsp; And as far as percentage decrease in solar output, I really 
        have little accurate clue.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Marco<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">ProVision 
        Solar<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Kicked 
        out butts, in fact.</SPAN><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
        <DIV>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
        <DIV>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Pat 
        Redgate</SPAN><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV>
        <DIV>
        <P style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto" 
        class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Ameco 
        Solar</SPAN><SPAN 
style="COLOR: black"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV></DIV>
        <P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN 
        style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; COLOR: black"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></FONT>
  <P>
  <HR>

  <P></P>_______________________________________________<BR>List sponsored by 
  Home Power magazine<BR><BR>List Address: 
  RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org<BR><BR>Options &amp; 
  settings:<BR>http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org<BR><BR>List-Archive: 
  http://lists.re-wrenches.org/pipermail/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org<BR><BR>List 
  rules &amp; etiquette:<BR>www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm<BR><BR>Check out 
  participant 
bios:<BR>www.members.re-wrenches.org<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>