[RE-wrenches] Discover AES explosion!

Starlight larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri May 3 09:23:39 PDT 2024

Hi Michael,

For 11 years I’ve been in the Li battery business. We formerly designed and installed over a hundred Li battery based systems, mostly mobile installations but UPS and off-grid as well. Since 2018, we no longer do installations.  Currently we sell our own Li-ion brand with many thousands sold and in use. We have not had any fire or explosion claims.

Most Li batteries sold in the US are not UL1973 or ETL certified. Many batteries are very cheaply made to have the lowest price. Based on my experience I consider any battery not certified as potentially dangerous. I don’t know if Discover is certified and make no statement about them.

An important question is what will an insurance company do if there is a claim and the product you install is not certified to these high safety standards? Worth considering.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Power Systems