[RE-wrenches] Discover AES explosion!

Michael Morningstar mjmorningstar at gmail.com
Fri May 3 08:21:28 PDT 2024

Two days ago, one of my clients came home to find the door of his powershed
blown off its hinges and a smoldering Discover AES. The case was still
intact and the entire room is coated with a fine graphite-like powder. The
fire department was unable/unwilling to do anything to cool the battery
down and it smoldered for a day. 199 degrees fahrenheit after 18 hours.
Discover is taking this seriously and their response has been great. They
are in contact with the cell manufacturer to find a "best practices" for
the clean up of the room. They also have said that this is a first for them
(lucky me).

I'm just curious how rare or common LiFePO 4 explosions are? I've never
heard of one in the context of residential storage. This has me pretty
freaked out.

Michael Morningstar

Morningstar Electric Inc

PO Box 1494