[RE-wrenches] Off-grid array far, far from the batteries

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Apr 10 10:25:09 PDT 2024

Chris:

The Outback 100 amp controller operating at a max of 300 VDC might be a
good solution.

Pondering this further:  I suppose a 600 volt charge controller would be
better for voltage drop but I suspect one string of 12 would exceed 600
VDC. If true then strings of 6 would exceed 300vdc. If using a FM100 the
fall back is strings of 4. Strings of 6 into a 600 volt charge controller
is only marginally superior for voltage drop over strings of 4.

Using the nameplate wattage you are just over 100 amps at 48VDC satisfying
the power criteria.

An added benefit is that all of the electronics will communicate.

Recent pricing of the 100 seems to indicate the price has dropped
significantly making this a good value.

It is possible you could combine at the battery location and pull multiple
smaller conductors. You’d still need a disconnecting means at the array.
Run the numbers.

https://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Resources/Voltage_Drop.xls

William Miller
Miller Solar.com
805-438-5600
www.millersolar.com

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 9:41 AM Chris Daum via RE-wrenches <