[RE-wrenches] Generator Charging Two Systems

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Tue Apr 9 13:03:51 PDT 2024

Hi all,

I have a unique opportunity to put solar panels with battery backup on two
adjacent homes on the same property for a client. The homes are separately
metered with netmetering available. It will need dual Sol-Ark 15k on one
home and a single Sol-Ark 15k on the other. The client wants to use a 48kW
standby generator as a backup, but not permanently wired, to act as a
redundant backup and battery charger for both homes. We're not worried
about AGS here.

He wants to use temporary cords to feed an inlet at each house connected to
the Sol-Ark's GEN inputs. The idea here is that he can use a variety of
generators up to and including this 48kW unit. He has all kinds of trailer
mounted generators at his disposal from his work. If something small is all
that is available, he could use that, but it would require changing the max
amps on the Sol-Ark menus, something he is capable and willing to do.

I have more questions than answers right now. Here are a few:

1. Any issues with grounding or a parallel neutral path (the homes share a
utility transformer).
2. I'm thinking 100A inlets with 100A disconnects at each home. That should
be more than sufficient, and input current limits can be set on each
Sol-Ark system.
3. Are there twist-lock 100A cords available off the shelf for this type of
application? I don't know exactly what type of outlets or permanent wiring
will be required for the generator output at this time.
4. Any code issues I might be missing that would prevent this?

Jason Szumlanski
Florida Solar Design Group