[RE-wrenches] Sol-Ark 15K AC Output

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Tue Mar 26 18:41:08 PDT 2024

#4 wire as the output of each inverter is definitely not adequate, as each
inverter can pass through 150A of generator power. In theory it would be
spit across all four, but that doesn't matter. It's an open spigot, so at a
minimum the output conductors would need to be 150A rated in my opinion.
The complication arises when you don't know whether the inverter can
supplement this AC output all the way to the 200A load OCPD integral to the
inverter. For that reason, I believe you need to size the output conductors
to 200A, not 150A in this case. I am trying to find out definitively if
generator support mode is supplied by Sol-Ark s.

As for paralleling the outputs, landing the outputs on breakers becomes
problematic and very expensive. Since the outputs need to be 150A minimum
or 200A maximum (as discussed previously), how would you do a 400A
panelboard with four of these large breakers in it, keeping in mind that
all four need to be fastened as backfed main breakers? I don't see a
practical way to make that happen.

The same thing applies to combining the generator inputs. You would need 4
x 150A backfed breakers, all fastened to the bus. Is there a cost effective
way to accomplish this?

Serviceability and bypass are obvious desires, but at what cost? If an
inverter needs to be taken out of service, it's fairly easy to remove the
supply and load conductors. And this highlights my issue... What if three
of four inverters need to be removed from service? Then absolute 150A
generator power can flow through the remaining single inverter, meaning the
output conductors need to be sized accordingly.

Jason

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024, 9:15 PM William Miller via RE-wrenches <