[RE-wrenches] Insurance for solar design and inspections

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Mar 11 22:25:50 PDT 2024

Something else to consider for us small operators:  LLC and
incorporation offer some protection as well.  If your company is sued,
and then declares bankruptcy, there's not going to be much for the other
party's attorneys to go after.  I've heard it described by my attorney,
that most attorneys won't even take the case when they hear the
defendant is uninsured.  When you are insured, they will sue for exactly
what the insurance covers + your liquid assets.  They don't want your
old truck and tools.

Everything we do, (especially driving) has risk.  We have to decide on a
job per job basis whether that risk is acceptable for the amount of
money we're charging.  Bigger, more complicated jobs = more risk,
therefore more insurance is probably warranted.  Some projects require
so much insurance that you can't even do the job.  I worked on some
pipeline projects that increased the required insurance to $20 million
at a cost of almost $100k/ year.  We don't do that work anymore.

This is also why I don't have a bunch of kids running around in trucks
making mistakes every day; too much liability.  I closely supervise
everything that my company takes responsibility for, and I sleep well at
night with my standard contractor's liability insurance.

Remember, insurance agents primary goal is to sell more insurance.  Of
course they want you to have an E&O policy, too.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar