[RE-wrenches] TPM Search

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Mar 10 01:14:45 PST 2024

That's just distortion in the image, from when I zoomed and cropped it.
Its module frame direct to the 2" angle aluminum support rail. Nothing
in between.  High winds ripped two other modules completely off the rack
leaving all the hardware still attached with a bit of module frame still
under the washers .

This is on a mountain top in Wyoming.   Believe me, when I tell you that
bottom mounting is no longer a safe method with today's big modules, at
least not in high wind situations (> 90 mph). I measured the thickness
of the module frame, and its about 1/2 the thickness of an old Siemens
SP75 that I compared it to.  These were Solar World modules, but I've
noticed most modules today have significantly less robust frames than
the old days.

More surface area to catch the wind + thinner metal = failure at high
enough wind speed.

BTW, the rack is a DPW high wind model, both the rack and the 4" pole
didn't budge at all, just the modules themselves.  I've had a second
system, same configuration have similar damage in a wind storm just last
year.  Its just on the top modules, not all of them.  I have quite a few
MT Solar racks with the top down mounting, and no losses.   I've been
suspicious of top down module racking; and I was quite satisfied with
actual bolts and hardware to hold modules in place.  But its just not
true anymore.    I added 3/4" angle stainless steel to reinforce the
attachments on the top modules.

Ray Walters