[RE-wrenches] Clamping CTs Around Live Conductors - White Paper References and/or Anecdotal Information Requested

Kent kent at coveoregon.com
Fri Mar 8 12:16:44 PST 2024

Sam,

As long as the CT leads are properly terminated, opening or closing the
clamp-on CT core is nothing different that what a clamp-on ammeter is
doing. Make a mistake and pull the leads out of the multimeter and you
may have a high voltage arc. There are other problems with using a
multimeter in this manner: 1) that the current ranges are usually fused
and the fuse may not clear a high voltage arc, and 2) switching current
ranges may temporarily open the circuit.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar