[RE-wrenches] Clamping CTs Around Live Conductors - White Paper References and/or Anecdotal Information Requested

Blake Gleason blake at sunlightandpower.com
Fri Mar 8 09:31:26 PST 2024

Hi Sam,

The "secondary" of the CT is the side connected to the meter.  The primary
is the side that gets wrapped around the conductor or busbar on which you
are measuring current.  So yes, make sure that the secondary is connected
to its "burden" (the meter, or a shorting block) before inducing any
current in the primary.  With a split-core CT, or a handheld clamp meter
(as you noted), you can install the CT around a conductor while the
conductor is in service.  Just make sure the secondary is already
connected.  (I'm sure there is some exception for certain types of
sensitive meters, but I've never had a problem.  And yes, as you say, this
is assuming that you are using proper PPE, etc for working around live
circuits.)

Blake

On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 8:31 AM Sam Haraldson via RE-wrenches <

--

Blake Gleason, PE | Employee Owner
Director of Innovation and Technical Excellence

1035 Folger Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94710
www.sunlightandpower.com
License #326203