[RE-wrenches] Battery Electrolyte Level Measuring

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Feb 29 13:12:20 PST 2024

Friends:

Thanks to everyone who responded to the original question.  The information
was valuable but did not directly approach the question.  I apologize if my
replies hinted at frustration.  I know everyone is trying to help.

This subject is important enough to me that I thought I’d take another run
at explaining what I am trying to accomplish:

I do not like looking into battery cells.  It is dangerous.  With some of
the larger battery banks looking into the cell requires climbing up onto
and kneeling on the tops of the batteries, increasing the danger and adding
discomfort and future wardrobe malfunctions.  Determining electrolyte level
by looking into cells gives inaccurate results.

Safety glasses help but spilling acid on the unprotected area of my face
around the glasses is not ideal.  A face shield provides better protection
but when bending my neck sharply downwards the shield bumps into my chest,
is uncomfortable and obstructs my view.

There has to be a better way!

Here is where I am heading with an idea to provide a safer way to measure
electrolyte levels.  I have mocked up a prototype in my kitchen to
illustrate.

The idea is a float with a scale attached.  The scale is calibrated to show
the desired fluid level and how much too low or high the level is.

I was hoping someone had already gone down this road and I could steal- I
mean learn from- their ideas.

I will keep trying to create something viable.  Already I have something I
can use, it’s just a bit hokey.  Ideally whatever I conjure up can also be
deployed while filling batteries by whatever means you have at hand so the
process can be safer, quicker and more accurate.  Everyone who works with
flooded batteries needs this.

I hope this explanation makes more sense.

William

PS: I have seen electrolyte level gauges on the internet.  None that I have
seen quite fit the bill.  Here is one
<https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/Battery%20Water%20Level%20Monitor%20Indicator%20Electrolyte%20Vent%20Cap.html>
that is not adjustable but comes in two fixed levels.  If you know of a
product that does what I need, or at least can spark some creativity,
please let me know.

PPS:  Ideally whatever I come up with is cheap enough that one or two can
be left in place to allow checking levels at a glance.

Wm

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422

805-438-5600