[RE-wrenches] $300 + transmission fee!

drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Fri Feb 23 07:57:26 PST 2024

Hello All,

A system we installed several years ago is on an old school building
that has been repurposed to office space and small shops. The loads are
very small. The electric bill, during the short days of the year with
lots of clouds (very little solar), was around $30.

Suddenly the electric bill came with a $300+ fee for transmission. AEP
claimed that the load, at some point, went over a certain amount of
power, so that the company had to charge for equipment that would handle
that load year around. No equipment changes have been made. The service
is 200 A.

Has anyone else encountered this? I wonder if there is any other type of
rate schedule the building could be put on to eliminate this problem.
AEP is not forthcoming about rate schedules or this issue.

Thanks,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric LLC
Ohio Electrical Contractor’s License 44810