[RE-wrenches] Tigo RSS Off Grid

Bradley Bassett bbassett2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 08:35:36 PST 2024

I powered a MidNite LSOB transmitter from a Classic AUX, though the
receivers didn't work with the Classic. The Classic is limited to 200ma
output and the Tigo and APS transmitters are rated at up to 800ma input, so
it might overload the Classic AUX output if they really do draw that much.

I tested an APS RSD system recently with a Classic and it did not work
well. I believe that the Tigo transmitter is very similar since the APS
devices say "licensed by Tigo" on them, So, the Tigo RSD devices may not
work well with a Classic either.

What I recommended while at AEE was to use a 48VDC to 12VDC converter to
power the Tigo and APS transmitters. This works well. Here's the one I
recommended if it's still available:  mean-well/ddr30l12
<https://www.onlinecomponents.com/mean-well/ddr30l12-50161036.html>    I
never had any negative feedback using this with a Sol-Ark and APS devices.

With a Classic in the system I've had to use the FireRaptor RSD devices. If
you can get approval or have older modules, you might be able to follow the
FireRaptor instructions and use 2 modules in series for each FireRaptor.
You do still have to have a way to disconnect the PV output circuit from
the Classic in order to make that circuit dead from the Classic end of the
circuit. I did that by putting an MNPV6-disco on the power shed which
disconnects the PV output circuit as well as the 24VDC to the FireRaptors.
And, I am powering my FireRaptors at 15VDC and it works fine.

Brad Bassett, ret.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 6:47 PM Jeremy Rodriguez via RE-wrenches <