[RE-wrenches] EG4 Equipment

Chris Sparadeo sparadeo.chris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 19:44:56 PST 2024

Howie,

The EG4 18K and the Fortress Envy are both made by the same manufacturer,
LuxPower. Google the LXP 12K and it will all make sense.  I can’t speak for
EG4, but I know that Fortress has progressed from simply white labeling
this unit to doing a significant amount of programming and additional
integration, specifically with regards to their monitoring platform.

Personally, I have always had a skeptical approach with EG4. The EX line
was chintzy at best. Every prospective client I have crossed paths with
that has called out EG4 equipment thinks they know more and want it cheaper
because they watched a few YouTube videos where unqualified DIY hacks free
air conductors. I don’t want to write EG4 off completely, and am interested
in their PowerPro battery. But with the ebb and flow of battery
manufacturers, I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t around in 5 years. I
feel differently about Fortress Power and although they have been a little
overactive in the inverter market, I do believe that they are well
intentioned and that their products and business are solid.

There has been some recent LFP bashing, and respectfully, I will agree to
disagree. Early iterations of LFP had frequent issues with BMS and cell
failure, but all in all, LFP has been a shining star in off-grid
applications. I say this having installed 100+ eVault Max 18.5 in strictly
off-grid scenarios. Sure there are phone calls and necessary firmware
updates (however never a single BMS failure with the eVault Max), but I’m
not having the heartbreaking conversations of “when we came back from
vacation our 48v lead acid battery bank was at 15 volts”. I don’t like
those phone calls. I also don't like holes in my pants and shirts or calls
that CO monitors are alarming because of dead vent fans. I’m not dying on
the hill of LFP, but I will say that I am firmly in support of the
measurable improvements they have made for my customers. Paired with remote
monitoring, the truck rolls a lot less.

Kindly,

Chris

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 4:33 PM Dan Fink via RE-wrenches <