[RE-wrenches] State of Charge Meter for Sol-Ark

Kent kent at coveoregon.com
Sat Feb 10 13:40:27 PST 2024

William

This comment

    PS:  I am curious as to what you meant by: “At least with lithium
    batteries the SOC meter doesn't need to account for the return
    current dropping down as is required with lead-acid batteries.”

is regarding the two plus hours lead-acid batteries need for absorption
time with constant voltage and decreasing charge current. Most lithium
batteries need little or no absorption time. Get them to 54.4 volts (or
whatever is specified) and in a few minutes they are done. That takes
one variable out of the "full" calculation that coulomb counting SOC
meters use for re-calibration to 100%.

Battery state of charge meters that are counting amphours are over
simplifying things. A battery's full charge capacity, lithium or
lead-acid, changes with temperature and (particularly with lead
acid-batteries) with load. The full charge capacity is changing with
age. It's complicated so we can't expect them to be perfect.

I also stopped using the Outback FNDC because it would reset to say 100%
at inappropriate times. Spent lots of time collecting data to
demonstrate the flaw to Outback; the FNDC is still operating with
firmware 1.0. They don't get my business.

Without a SOC meter I've struggled with lithium batteries trying to find
the right voltage to start the generator. Don't want things shutting
down. Do want to use a large fraction of battery capacity. But the
voltage is so load dependent that it is hard to find the spot to start
the generator.

Spring is about here!

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar