[RE-wrenches] SMA String inverters

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Jan 10 09:53:09 PST 2024

Jeremy:

We generally avoided using the 41 series inverter for reasons specified here
<https://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/case_studies/SMA_40_Series/Whats_wrong_with_40_Series.html>.
If you find a new string inverter in the SMA lineup, you might want to
check to see if they have resolved some of the shortcomings.

I have not had reason to use string inverters because, other than Solar
Edge, they do not offer intrinsic rapid shutdown.  Careful reading of the
NEC indicates that even ground mount arrays require RSS unless the PV
feeders run to a building with the sole use being to house solar
equipment.  Having said that, I would imagine that if an inverter were
mounted on the ground-mount rack, the requirement for RSS could be avoided.

William Miller

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422

805-438-5600