[RE-wrenches] Magnum 4448 PAE whimpy charge rate.

Chris Worcester chris at solarwindworks.com
Thu Dec 7 19:09:39 PST 2023

Hi John, I have been vexed about the settings on the 4448 PAE in off grid scenarios too, but am trying to figure out how to make these work as intended? That being said there's a couple of settings that might be messing with this that you can check out. I am  also open to any suggestions here, thanks. Recently I was programming a pair of these using the RTR, check in 02  Control Charger that you're using Multi-Stage. This is also in the Setup 03F Final Charge Stage menu. In Setup 03A AC Input Amps, 60 to 70 Amps max with 1 inverter and 1/2 that with 2. You have probably already set 03E Max Charge Rate up to 100% I reckon. If not give it a shot and see if it will approach the 60 Amps DC per inverter rating. Anyway these RTR menus are from 2014 +/- so I don't know if you have the same menus. Hope this helps. Chris Worcester chris at solarwindworks.com530-448-9692Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s9.
-------- Original message --------From: John Blittersdorf via RE-wrenches <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org> Date: 12/6/23  6:08 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: RE-wrenches <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org> Cc: John Blittersdorf <john.blittersdorf at gmail.com> Subject: [RE-wrenches] Magnum 4448 PAE whimpy charge rate. I have noticed on several Magnum Installations that the charge rate is low compared to the inverter rated output.  Typically I would assume the charge rate should be up to about 70 to 80 % of the inverter capacity, but I am getting only about 1400 watts (26 amps DC) from it with a 14kw generator.  Is there some setting I am missing that would limit it other than the charge %.  I know of one system where they added a 2nd Magnum inverter and then had problems with them working together consistently.  I have used the 8 kilowatt Radians for any off grid with significant loads and battery capacity and easily get 6000 charging watts from a large generator. I also needed remote control of the generator (Generac EcoGen 15 kw so a quick inexpensive but clunky solution I came up with was to add an old (2003 vintage) used MX-60 to the system purely to use the Aux relay with a used HUB and old but good Mate3.  Works perfectly giving us AGS start and stop voltage settings and basic battery voltage graph. I would be interested in other ways to remote control generators with non Outback inverters. FlexNet DC?John Blittersdorf