[RE-wrenches] Cable sizing for high current modules? NEC interpretation/guidance?

Starlight larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Nov 8 09:37:05 PST 2023

Choosing a higher insulation rating for the wire will increase current capability, if that works in your case.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems

On Nov 8, 2023, at 10:06 AM, George McClellan via RE-wrenches <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org> wrote:

Team;

With the move to larger cells, some modules have an Isc that is pushing the limits of 12 AWG wire.  If I apply the rule of 156% (or 125% solar derate*125% continuous load derate) to an 18 Amp Isc module this will exceed the 25A that a 12 AWG wire can carry.  I understand that the homeruns will need to be a larger AWG (10 ga), but do the solar module cables (from junction box to MC4) also need to be larger?  Any guidance or reference material would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

George McClellan | Senior Technical Sales Manager | REC Americas LLC
330 James Way Ste 150 | Pismo Beach, CA 93449 | USA
Cell phone +1 805 704 3226 | Fax +1 805 357 6104
www.recgroup.com <http://www.recgroup.com/> | george.mcclellan at recgroup.com <mailto:shannon.kent at recgroup.com>

This message is private and confidential and may be privileged. Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information or copying of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately and remove it from your system. Thank you.

Pay optional member dues here: http://re-wrenches.org <http://re-wrenches.org/>

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org <mailto:RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>

http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org <http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org>

https://www.mail-archive.com/re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org/ <https://www.mail-archive.com/re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org/>