[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Oct 30 08:37:54 PDT 2023

Jason:

Thanks for contributing to this thread.  I did not realize it would create
so much interest.  My main point is to establish a definition for
AC-coupling, and I believe we do have consensus on that.  The next question
to ask is AC-coupling a good thing?

You make the point that BMS systems protect lithium batteries from damage.
They do so by shutting down, not correcting the problem.  But what good is
a system that shuts down?  When that happens someone has to roll a truck to
reset the system.  We should not design outages into our systems.

I spoke at length this weekend with a very knowledgeable member of this
forum (thank you, sir) about closed loop.  Their experience is that there
were packet losses in the communications and when that occurred the system
shut down.  I am going to set up my first closed loop today and I hope I do
not have the same experience.

Traditional charge controllers may seem “crude” but they operate on real,
measured values of voltage and current, values that are at the core of
battery care.  Modern charging systems seem to rely at least partially on
sate of charge.  State of charge is a calculated value that is notorious
for being inaccurate and drifting more so over time.  Every SOC scheme I
know needs to be recalibrated frequently.  The recalibration requires
hitting certain charge parameters and if you can’t hit those you don’t
recalibrate.

I assumed that a BMS system provided within a lithium battery assembly by
the manufacturer would be accurate.  I spoke with a tech support person
from a prominent LFP manufacturer at length recently and was told their BMS
is not foolproof on calculating SOC.  I am not confident that any of them
are.

I am new to lithium battery systems.  It may be my inexperience talking,
but it seems they incorporate a lot of complexity that may make them
unreliable unless charged and discharged very carefully.  I do not believe
AC-coupled charging is a good way to charge lithium batteries, or any
battery.

William Miller

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422