[RE-wrenches] 2007 Kohler: Wrenches, can you help with parts or smarts?

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 04:04:36 PDT 2023

Hello Mick,

Here is what I'd do:

Check compression on each cylinder, look for psi of about 90(ish).  Also
verify they are about the same (within a couple of percent).  If its way
out of this range, stop here.

If they think they've gotten at least 5000 run hours, I'd stop here.  These
air cooled machines can last longer if well taken care of, but that is the
design life.  I have a few Kohler air-cooled with >5000 run hours so it can
happen.

I'm a fan of checking the integrity of the alternator/rotor with an
excitation test but you may be limited in what is possible with a cooked
controller.  You can ask me direct for more details on this.  Probably the
controller is cooked and that's it, but I have had lightning to more things
to generators.

I would try the parts for techs but here in Colorado you can also call
Power systems West in Aurora.  They will need make, model, serial number
and they can price out the part for you.  This will at least get you a best
case price for replacing the controller.  You can't rely on
interchangeability of these controllers.  There are often changes that need
harness modifications.

Good luck

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 4:48 PM Dana Orzel via RE-wrenches <

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*