[RE-wrenches] Line Side Tap

drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Oct 12 17:06:18 PDT 2023

We have a design where the conductors will come out of a 400 A meter
base to a junction box. Splices in the box will allow for the PV to feed
the meter.

A maximum of 312 Amps can come from the inverters to feed the grid.

The loads on the existing main service are significantly less than 200A.
The service is rated at 200 A, 3 phase delta.

The conductors from the meter would be rated at 400 A to the splice, as
would the conductors to the photovoltaic system. The conductors to the
existing service would be downsized to 200 A.

We were told that the bus bar rating of the service must also be 400 A,
even though the output of the PV does not feed through that box. Is
there a rule that says this? What would be the logic?

Thank you,

Drake

_Drake Chamberlin_

_Athens Electric LLC_

_Ohio Electrical Contractor's License 44810_

_NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional_