[RE-wrenches] Generator question

chris at OasisMontana.com chris at OasisMontana.com
Mon Sep 25 09:20:46 PDT 2023

     Hi folks:

We have a situation where the Sol-Ark 12kW Inverter isn't able to adequately
manage the loads and perform auto-gen start other than low battery level.
And despite thorough understanding of the customer's initial loads, after
he's bought the system, he's continued to add more and more loads - a severe
case of load creep.

He's got a 38KW generator and we're looking for the components to make the
generator load responsive instead of just kicking on when the battery
voltage is low.  Are there any ideas on switching equipment that can do this
and work with the Sol-Ark?  We're waiting for a reply from Sol-Ark, but
thought you folks may have some ideas.

The original design was for a larger solar system and inverter, but the
customer balked at the cost and said he'd reduce his loads accordingly.
Unfortunately, that has not happened!   Now we're trying to bend the laws of
physics and have his 38KW  generator make up the difference. We need to come
up with a means of accommodating the compromised design and now are faced
with additional loads -- along with a significantly reduced solar array.
Is there a way to make this (2 wire start) generator more load responsive?

Thanks for any and all advice!

     Chris Daum
     Oasis Montana Inc.
     406-777-4309 or 4321