[RE-wrenches] Service rated tap devices

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Thu Jul 20 07:21:48 PDT 2023

Hi Mac -

Here's a list of NEC 230.46 compliant multitap connectors from NSI, maker
of Polaris brand:

https://www.nsiindustries.com/line-side-skus/

Note that only the two-port variants are currently on their list, which is
sort of a pain. We've been using the IT-350 which has dual-side wire entry,
so we pass the primary conductor through the connector completely and strip
the wire in the middle (roughly 1" middle-strip) to make the connection,
then our tap conductor goes in the other port.

If you go to the datasheet, you'll note they say "Connector sizes 350 to
750 MCM are suitable for use on the line side of the
service equipment per NEC 230.46 requirements." That might be worth running
by your utility if you need a variant with more than two ports.

https://cdn.amplifi.pattern.com/fb4d416f-d614-48a7-b7de-a8f8615f501d

I'm not aware of any insulation piercing connectors on the market meeting
the NEC requirement, but I haven't been hunting that hard.

Best, August

On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 7:02 PM Mac Lewis via RE-wrenches <