[RE-wrenches] Damaged PV module cells

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Jul 16 17:35:15 PDT 2023

These days modules are so cheap, and so much more efficient, that I just
reuse the racks, even if the existing modules are good. Racking, wiring,
excavation all exceed the cost of the mods, so its what ever gets the
customer the power they need for the lowest cost.

OTOH, if the system is still working, I'd just leave them alone, until
there's an actual failure.  Funny thing is, those modules could be
losing all kinds of power, but you might not really notice it, if its a
non MPPT controller.  I do respect the grey haired folks that can still
live on a 12 v system, the next generations do not have the patience.

I really don't work on 12 v systems much anymore, except to replace them
in total.  I've found I can burn up a lot of $$ messing around, and the
customer is still running on a 20+ year old system, that's never going
to get younger again.  Grape Solar was not a top brand BTW.

Ray Walters