[RE-wrenches] Lithium battery charge rate

Starlight larry at starlightsolar.com
Tue Jun 27 09:07:00 PDT 2023

Hi Steve,

My experience is different. First, I don’t know of any stationary battery systems that have C2 charge ability, many not even C1. A 20kWh bank C2 rate would be 40kW or over 770Amps @ 52V. I have 10 years experience with Li batteries, (hundreds of Li installations, mobile and off grid), and thousands of LiFeBlue Battery customers, low current charging works without issues. Most of these systems charge at the high end 0.35 C rate or less. Jay did not mention the bank size so we don’t know the C rate for the 30-50 Amp recommendation. But I guess it is far lower than 1C.

Long absorb (CV) times may cause a cell to saturate resulting in rapid voltage rise and the BMS protection inhibiting input current. This sudden loss of load (essentially a battery disconnect) can cause havoc with some inverter/chargers and PV solar controllers. In our experience, the best method to set Absorb times for any Li system is by trial. If the cell voltages are staying relatively close during discharge (6mv in the attached image), then balancing time (> 3.55V CV) is sufficient, whether it is 0.1 hours or much more.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
(GM, LiFeBlue Battery)