[RE-wrenches] AFCI tripping on SB 4000US-12

Martin Herzfeld findsolar at herzfeld.org
Tue Jun 20 08:42:00 PDT 2023

Comment below -

Martin Herzfeld, Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC) Certified
Master Trainer™ Emeritus
California Solar & Electrical Contractor License  #00833782  C-46, C-10,
C-7, C-61 - D-56, D-31
Solar, Electrical, Trenching, Pole Installation & Maintenance,
Instrumentation

Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Certified PV Systems Installer #17, OSHA 30
Certificate
OSHA-Authorized Construction Safety Trainer #32-0106614
CompTIA® Certified Technical Classroom Trainer (CTT+™ Certified)
#T3NSZCNBBKB4QTQG
Solar & Electrical Construction Consultant - 2nd Party Evaluations

International Code Council® (ICC) Certified Residential Electrical
Inspector - E1 #8343181
International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI) Member - #7035507
Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Training Program (EVITP™) Certification
#4039206
Contract Solar (PV) Technical Inspector - 3rd Party Inspections

Certificate - Stanford | Center for Professional Development - Energy
Innovation and Emerging Technologies (EIET)

On Mon, Jun 19, 2023, 11:33 AM August Goers via RE-wrenches <

> Hi William - Is this a TL-21 inverter
> <https://files.sma.de/downloads/SB3-5TL-21-IS-xx-14.pdf?_ga=2.101814081.1325009506.1687199204-2010138759.1678983058>
> line from maybe 8 or 10 years ago? If I recall correctly, that was around
> the time period that SMA was first shipping with AFCI detection - we had a
> few SMA inverters from that vintage producing false AFCI errors. I think
> that long home runs can be part of the issue and the inverter circuitry was
> a little too sensitive. You might try calling SMA to see if there is a
> firmware update or a way to disable AFCI if you feel comfortable
> with disabling that safety feature.

Simply, would this be 690.11 and not be a situation of comfort, but "not in
or on buildings,"  "metal(lic) raceways" or other requirements to comply
with the exception?

Separately, we've had a few phantom type AFCI errors on older modules and