[RE-wrenches] Off-Grid AFCI Update...

bob at midnitesolar.com bob at midnitesolar.com
Thu Jun 15 16:28:01 PDT 2023

Hi Kienan

/"There's an interesting //Sandia report
<https://energy.sandia.gov/wp-content/gallery/uploads/SAND2013-5916-SeriesAndParallelArc-FaultCircuitInterrupterTests1.pdf>// where
there were testing an AFCI combiner that MidNite made, //
//but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere... "/

What you saw that we were testing down at Sandia years ago was a
Disconnecting Combiner with PV input
monitoring and PV arc fault on every channel.   It cost too much was the
problem.  It worked well though.

/"Is anyone addressing this? Someone at a conference this year told me
that MidNite solar was working on producing
something that would work, but I don't know if that's a true rumor or
false... I can't seem to find anything online.
Does anyone know of anything I've missed?"/

MidNite has been working on a stand alone AFCI that drives remote-trip
HV breakers and works up to 600 V input.
Look for this generic arc fault solution in about 4 months.  I think it
also has ground fault too ?  They are used in our
newer HV MPPTs.

One of the issues for some of the others was that they used the Sensata
arc fault sensor components and for some reason they stopped making those.

🌜boB🌛