[RE-wrenches] Lithium upgrade when Magnasine goes to float too soon

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Tue Apr 18 12:54:57 PDT 2023

Hi, Mechanix~ I have several local clients with various different versions
of Magnum pure sine inverters & all of the inverters seem to transition to
the float stage soon after the charge cycle begins. I've observed this even
when the inverters & batteries were brand new. I'm aware of the menus about
adjusting the bulk time duration but even adjusting that to the longest
setting never helped.

Since these clients are all off grid with no generator automation, I
just tweaked the float voltage to match the bulk voltage then instructed
the clients to turn off their generator when the target voltage appears on
their display. The batteries were always lead acid floodies.

Now that some of these clients need better batteries (& I hope they can
afford transitioning to lithium), are there any mfr's for drop in
replacement lithium which don't care if the gen-powered charger can't shift
downward for the float voltage? The customers' PV chargers all have a float
function that does work right. I know that Blue Planet suggests 55.2v DC
for all charge stages, but my Magnum systems are all either 12v nominal or
24v nominal, so I'll need to find a different brand that builds the lower
voltage batteries.

The clients can still shut down the generator when the target voltage is
reached, but what if they fail to shut down soon after the setpoint is
reached? I wouldn't want to put anybody's battery warranty at risk due to
this strange charging quirk. Also, I'd like to know if any other Wrenchies
have noticed this peculiarity with the Magnum inverters.

Thanks in advance; the Wrench List is The Bomb!

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Landline: 970-731-4675
Cell phone or for text messaging: 970-946-6584
ᐧ