[RE-wrenches] HomeGrid Battery Experience

Dana Orzel dana at solarwork.com
Sat Apr 15 08:26:28 PDT 2023

I installed a 400AHR set of Home Grid on an existing grid OB Radian system replacing AGM batteries.  I had to replace the FM 80 CC for an Fm 100 as the FM 80s were to sloppy on their finish voltage [the microprocessors are too slow]. I received 2 damaged [warped] Top sections with the BMS before I could complete the installation. The shipping boxes were stout & fine so I can only assume that the defect was factory based. HG sated that they open & check every battery box as it come in from China… Hopefully now they will check the BMS units too.

Since completion though the system has been working smoothly as in no issues. Grounding straps on the left side secured the battery set together on the left, but the right side relies on gravity to keep the individual  batteries nested which is interesting as the right side is where the battery interconnects are located. I would like to see a set of straps typ. Of the left side on the right side to tie the pack tight, literally someone could lift the right side up under load & cause a lead separation & major sparky event. No conduit box on the back just a couple of compression TA’s to secure the battery cable out to the inverter.

Communication with Home Grid was very good & they sent me a com box to allow them to look in on the battery bank though with no internet on site that was a miss. Oh yeah the assumptions at the factory level.

**Last item - they charge to a lower voltage setting than almost all other LI batteries so check as to whether your CC can stop that low. I think it was 52.4vdc?

That said I am sure that I will install more sets of Home Grid batteries. Neat clean look finished.

Dana Orzel -  E - dana at solarwork.com -  C - 208.721.7003