[RE-wrenches] Attaching PV with VELCRO

Daniel Young danny at sesre.com
Tue Apr 11 15:00:24 PDT 2023

“I would also question the adhesive if it will take years of heat, water and the material it's adhered too.  “

That is the issue I found wit this.

I installed hundreds of kW of a “not to be named” roofing manufacturers solar system that used Velcro years back. Lets just say we spent more hours carrying solar modules back on the roof after they blew off over the next 4 years than we did installing the original system (at least it felt like it). The Velcro to roof glue connection is what gave up every time. Biological growth under the hot modules I think really deteriorated the glue joint quickly. In case anyone is wondering, we used the roofers provided adhesive primer, rolled on adhesive, and did so under their direct supervision and sign off.

That array has since been removed at the roofers expense.

Every system is different, and materials science is changing all the time, maybe this is better?

I would approach this with caution.

--

Danny Young
NABCEP PV Installation Professional #031508-90