[RE-wrenches] Attaching Array To or Through Ply

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Mar 30 18:44:27 PDT 2023

Hi Jason;

I was like you: thinking good ol' bottom mounting with SS hardware was
the best.  All of us old wrenches were wrong.

The top down mounting system is much stronger.  I've only had a handful
of failures over 25 years, and all were bottom mounted. The module
completely ripped off the rack, leaving the stainless hardware, washers,
etc with a thin sliver of module frame between.  For repairs, I come
back and install 1/2" SS angle on the inside of the module frame to
spread the load more.  AND....on new installs, no more bottom mounting.
If you compare today's modules with old 12v models from 20 years ago,
you'll see: much thinner metal on the bottom frames now.

Meanwhile I saw several systems survive Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico:
all top down mounting.  You are correct that the failures come from the
modules themselves letting go, not the racking. Either the wind itself
is so strong as to blow the glass, then the frame looses its structure,
or flying debris breaks the glass. There were some MW PV fields that got
tore up pretty bad.  So no, ground mounts definitely can be destroyed.
They had tornadoes moving inside of the hurricane, and you could see it
in the damage, 50' wide strips of total carnage with undamaged modules a
few feet away. Like you said, The storm has a mind of its own.

As far as mid clamp T bolt failures, I can confirm that probably a
majority are not installed correctly, especially Unirac, which are
terrible to get the T lined up right.  I've done numerous inspections
world wide, and a signifcant % of racking I looked at was NOT installed
correctly.
1) The Ts not squarely lined up with the rail,
2) massive over torqueing, to the point the bolt can't be reversed
3)  under torqueing, to the point the modules had slipped down a little.

Most of these problems come from installing with an impact driver.
Impact drivers are a great tool (so is a hammer), but you got to know
when and where to Not use them, too.  They're great for installing the
lags and L feet, but then get that tool off the roof.

Use an electric screw driver, socket wrench, or *drill with a clutch*
set low to snug up the clamps, and then final torque with a torque
wrench. Period.

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
Former NABCEP 2004-2016