[RE-wrenches] California NEM3 specific question

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Fri Mar 3 15:44:06 PST 2023

My 2005 yearly billing, net metering agreement with Pacific Power says nothing about it being only valid for 20 years.

Todd

On Friday, March 3, 2023 8:46am, "William Miller via RE-wrenches" <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org> said:

To my Friends on the Wrenches forum:

This is a question that likely can only be answered by a California based grid-tied contractor.  The subject itself may be of more general interest as it is demonstrative of a trend that has dogged the industry and may be more prevalent in the future.  The subject has many layers to discuss, but I have a very specific question:

The new NEM3.0 legislation applies to current and future grid-tied customers connected to Investor Owned Utilities (IOU) in California.  It specifies in part that when NEM3 takes effect on 4/14/23, all customers that are currently categorized as NEM1 and NEM2 keep their existing status for 20 years from date of system commission.  After that 20 years these customers will be demoted to NEM3.  The reality of NEM3 is that it sucks for customers.

My home system was commissioned in October of 2003.  That means that in eight months I will be forced into significantly worse terms for trading kWh with PG&E. It’s not just me-- we installed a lot of grid-tied systems in the early 2000s and I want to do what I can to protect my clients.  I worry for all people that supported solar when it was much more expensive.  This is really a sad result for early adopters.

BTW, everyone is talking about the poor people that have yet to install solar but don’t want to get the future bad deal.  The hidden story is this sunset provision.  As I said above, this part seems pretty unfair.

I called PG&E today and was told that there is no way to extend NEM1 or 2 status, short of removing all solar, having the roof inspected, and re-installing.

So do any of you California wrenches know what options there are to keep NEM1 and NEM2 accounts off of NEM3?  Any advice is appreciated.

If you agree that this is a problem, spread the word and give your customers a heads up.

William

Miller Solar
17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422
805-438-5600