[RE-wrenches] Fortress Battery Heater

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Feb 8 15:04:11 PST 2023

Hi All;

I have a fresh Fortress Evault installation with a Solark inverter.  The
batteries are indoors in the center of the house, but the customer is
not there full time, so the battery is unfortunately going below
freezing.  What are the best options for setting up a heating system for
the E Vault?

Here are ideas that I have not tried, but am considering:
1) add a 240 v, 1000 w baseboard heater in the room near the battery
that is wired to only run off the generator.  Run the generator until
the heat comes up, and then hopefully after 30 minutes, the battery
would begin accepting a charge.

2) Add an 120 vac heating blanket under the evault that would be wired
to a thermostat, but also have a relay control from the PV system, so
that the heater would only operate when the sun was out, and the battery
was below 50F.   I don't quite know how to set this up with the Solark's
load controls.

I've considered some DC options, but they don't make much sense, since
the inverter has to be on to charge from PV anyway.

The long term plan is for the client to finish the insulation, and sheet
rock, and add a gas wall heater in there as needed.

Thanks,

Ray Walters
Remote Solar
in the Colorado mountain cold.....