[RE-wrenches] cable trays and battery cable

Kirk Herander kirkh at vermont.solar
Sun Feb 5 12:48:04 PST 2023

All,
I'm just starting a 500kwh LFP battery system that requires a max. distance
of 40' from each battery cabinet to the DC combiner.

I am considering using a cable tray instead of an enclosed wireway for
this. The battery cable used is ALL-Flex CT multi-rated MTW / THHW, and
will be greater than or equal to 1/0, per NEC 392.
I haven't read up  a lot yet on it but I assume cable tray allows single
conductor ampacity to be sized as in free air per 310.17, with perhaps some
caveats.

Have any of you used cable tray in a similar fashion? Pointers? Thanks.

--

*Kirk Herander / **kirkh at vermont.solar <kirkh at vermont.solar>*

*Owner|Principal, VT Solar, LLC*

*Celebrating our 32st Anniversary 1991-2023!!*

dba Vermont Solar Engineering

802.863.1202