[RE-wrenches] Remote battery disconnects

jay jay.peltz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 07:26:00 PST 2023

As 480.7(B) says single and double homes, that going with the mike holt literal interpretation to me says that even if you have a remote power shed it would still require the remote disconnect. As that section doesn’t say that the power system is in the house or not.

(A) doesn’t apply as the batteries are sub 60v
(C) doesn’t apply because its a 48v battery

However, as we’ve seen in the past with NEC requirements that there was no UL part for:  GFCI for charge controllers, or RS as just 2 examples, that gives an out because there is no part to use.
I’d say its a perfect new part for midnite to make.

William’s point about making one, sure can do that but then the AHJ will ask for the UL listing.

I still have the question as to what is the design of the battery conductor disconnect? What is it trying to protect?  Sure its the battery conductors, but why?
If the goal is to make sure its safe for the fire personal to cut through walls, ok then they could be cutting into the battery just as easily as the conductors.
If its to shut off power to the house, then it fails on that one.  Power goes out and the back up generator starts for just one example.
Which puts us back to the main AC disconnect which is going to shut off all the AC power in the house.
Rapid shut down already has requirements for house mounted systems which takes care of the +60v DC conductors although is not required for separate power sheds.

Thanks

jay