[RE-wrenches] Remote battery disconnects

bob at midnitesolar.com bob at midnitesolar.com
Wed Feb 1 19:06:49 PST 2023

  SPDs or (MOVs) on the PV input side of a charge controller are not
wired to snub excessive PV voltage.

They are wired from PV+ to GND and the other from PV- to GND and only
the two in series, at double the
MOV clamp voltage would have any effect on clamping the PV+/PV- voltage.
SPDs are wired to keep the charge controller's insulation system to
below the Hi-Pot voltage the unit is
tested with.  i.e.  They are wired for common-mode and not
differential.  That voltage is much higher
than maximum controller or inverter input voltage.

What *IS* in place that might help limit PV voltage is the PV array
itself.  Any PV voltage that would try go
go above the array's  Voc  would be clamped across the array.  This
would be during the day or at night and
of course that Voc is determined mainly by PV cell temperature. Solar
panels are just a bunch of diodes
in series so will be forward-biased when Voc is exceeded by an inverter
or charge controller.
   PV modules make great space heaters and can even melt snow, ya know. 😁

As for charge controllers blowing up when charging hard and then
disconnecting,  I am very anal in
designing in safe guards to keep this from happening on the MidNite
Classic at least.  That was done
several years ago now.

But even then, electronics, especially power  electronics, break once in
a while and it is sometimes very
hard to know why it happened.

With our new HV MPPT controllers,  their E-Panels also include
remote-trip PV breakers, triggered by the controller's
hardware in order to reduce   battery side  over-voltage in case
something goes wrong.

So, I understand that we have a remote battery disconnect device
basically done but have held off due to
not knowing how important it would actually be.  300 amps from an
external switch closure or open.
Our older BD module basically went away with the bird house and bird
next shut down system.

There are NEC requirements that are not enforced and some installers
don't  worry about including,
but from this discussion, it sounds like this battery disconnect better
be finished sooner than later.

Now we know.  Thanks !

🌜boB🌛  MidNite Solar