[RE-wrenches] outback FM-100

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Jan 17 13:34:50 PST 2023

Scott:

I don't know about lead items for other than Outback as that is what we
are using on the jobs we have going.  I show May as the delivery for
Mate3ses (who names these parts anyway?).

I have never liked integrated systems.  Ever since I was a kid I preferred
component stereo equipment because it gave me more control of my options.
The same is true for off-grid power equipment.  Some systems need more
charge control, some less, for example.  Having the charge controller
built into the inverters makes customizing difficult.

Another issue is cases of failure.  If an integrated inverter/charge
controller experiences a failure it makes it more likely the whole system
is non-operational.

And finally, now component parts area becoming harder to procure.  If
everything is built into one box and that box is held up by lack of one
chip, my project is stalled.  If I can get some of the components I can
start an installation and possibly work around missing parts.

To answer your question, I think you are worse off now with an integrated
system than with separate parts.

William Miller

Miller Solar
17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422