[RE-wrenches] Sola-ark cold morning

Howie Michaelson Howie.Michaelson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:30:34 PST 2022

Hi All,

Dana's troubles with the Sol-Ark reminded me that I wanted to write about
my experience with Sol-Ark and Fortress as my troubles with that install
were unfolding. I had made many calls and emails to both Sol-Ark and
Fortress about the lack of charging and the odd generator behavior. Sol-Ark
was more available for conversations and troubleshooting than Fortress, but
after going through as much as they could think of, they decided the issues
must have been on Fortress' end. Fortress was not being very helpful, being
very short with their written responses and being difficult to get live on
a phone call. They basically said nothing on their end could be causing the
problems we were experiencing and threw it back into Sol-Ark's court.

I wrote a note to Fortress complaining about what I was considering the
unacceptable level of support I was getting primarily from Fortress.  After
a little back and forth, we finally got into a productive email and phone
exchange where they eventually let me know that they were just beginning to
see other problems with their closed loop pairing with Sol-Ark. At this
point, it seems that Sol-Ark did a firmware revision a few weeks ago, which
somehow caused just enough disruption to the Canbus communication with
Fortress, that it caused erratic seemingly random behavior between the 2
pieces of equipment, which neither manufacturer initial recognized as a
communication problem, but assumed must be a programming problem (which it
essentially was).

After the initial period of being largely blown off by Fortress, once they
started to recognize what the issue might be, they kicked in and have been
very responsive and helpful since. They quickly generated a new firmware
which they had done internal testing on and then we updated one set of
batteries a week ago.  As best as I can tell, so far the closed loop
communications and the system have operated well.  I hope to update the
larger system this week and switch it over to closed loop, as it has been
operating in open loop for several days now. Once we switch it over, I will
report back as to how it is working.

I do want to reiterate that after Fortress' (in my opinion) initial delayed
and less than helpful responses, I am pleased with the support I have since
been given.  I do think the way they've set up their support response needs
some significant tweaking, but it sounds like they are at least open to
getting feedback and suggestions from wrenches that are interested in doing
so.

Howie

*Howie Michaelson**Sun Catcher*

*NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™*

*Solar Electric Systems Sales & Service802-272-0004*

On Sun, Dec 4, 2022 at 2:39 PM Dana Orzel via RE-wrenches <